People prefer buying a GSM phone over a CDMA. This is due to the fact that many countries support only GSM phones and while roaming, it becomes difficult to handle a CDMA in such countries. Verizon Galaxy S3 is one such CDMA phone that was difficult to be roamed around with until the XDA member lair12 has found a way to hack the phone to behave like GSM.
It is a method that lair12 followed including rooting and flashing the phone canceling the phones warranty to unlock the new way out. The XDA forum member believes that tis trick would work out on this phone to support any GSM sim in theEurope. The hack doesn’t seem that simple as switching from LTE to GSM and from GSM back to LTE shall require equal amount of work to do with the phone!
If you are interested in converting your Verizon phone into a GSM supporter you might find the steps followed by lair12 interesting and thus providing you with the knowledge to do so. The XDA member clearly states it is his own experience but at the same time isn’t responsible of damage if after following his steps it (harm) happens to the phone, and neither do we.
Here I list the steps to transform your own Verizon Galaxy S 3 into GSM handset:
I – Things to be followed/done before he left US/you leaving your country:
- Root the phone with stockROM.
- Use spring.recovery.image for Clockworkmod recovery.
- Load the APN Manager Application from Google Play.
- Load the HiAPN Global Application from Google Play.
- Load Ghost Commander Application from Google Play.
- Load DropBox Application from Google Play.
- Load PhoneInfo Application from Google Play.
- Create a back-up of APN into the SD card using the HiAPN Application.
- Edit “apnlist_backup.xml” found at SD card à HiDroid_Net à HiAPN using Ghost Commander Application and include your APN information.
- Use HiAPN to restore APNs.
- Use APN Manager to see the APN list and check if new APN is correct.
- Use APN Manager and make sure that APN is still set toLTE-Verizon Internet or EHRPD-Verizon Internet.
II – Things to be done overseas to Convert LTE to GSM:
- Switch-off the phone & take out the battery and now put the sim-card into the phone (Foreign country sim) .
- Turn ON the phone.
- Turn OFF the Wi-Fi.
- Use PhoneInfo Application to change the preferred network type to “Global”. (Click on device information and scroll for first box)
- Open HiAPN and press ‘Click to restore APNs’ and allow it to ‘clean original APN settings’. Select ‘Click to Autoset APNs’ or hit ‘Net’ one at a time to rotate to the right APN.
- Go to airplane mode to reset the radio (Just switch in and go back).
- Settings à More Settings àMobilenetwork à First instance of Network Mode should be ‘Global mode’ else go back to step 4.
- Settings à More Settings à Mobile Network à Access Point Names should have correct APN settings else go back to step 5.
- Settings à More Settings à Mobile network à Second instance of Network Mode should be ‘GSM/WCDMA’ else go back to step 6.
- Reebot, and you should have GSM working on your phone!
These are the steps that are to be followed for switching from LTE to GSM. Further, if one wants to switch from GSM to LTE please follow the link:
Best of Luck!
Top Google Searches for this Article:
- convert cdma to gsm,galaxy s3 cdma,galaxy s3 cdma to gsm,samsung galaxy s3 cdma to gsm,samsung galaxy s3 CDMA,how to convert cdma to gsm,unlock verizon galaxy s3 for gsm,unlock cdma galaxy s3,samsung galaxy s3 cdma a gsm,is samsung galaxy s3 gsm or cdma